Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Grumpy skippers

I've finally got around to watching Three Men in Another Boat, starring Griff Rhys Jones, Dara O'Brian and Rory McGrath.

Its a great comedy-documentary about their adventure on Griff's classic yacht, Undina. as it sails from London to Cowes to join, Jospehine, Undina's sister ship.

As I watched Griff explaining nautical terms and sailing conventions to his inexperienced crew I saw many similarities in how I had been this summer with my 'new' crew.

'No, not like that', 'Yes I CAN see that big ship', 'Mind that BOUY!' and many other such essential Skipper shouting phrases that I realise Griff and I have in common.

Grumpy and stressed skippers aside, there was lots of lovely sailing sequences an amusing fly-by from the Dover Coastguard and a good look over what Griff's lovely yacht can do.

Undina is 'almost' lovely enough to turn my head from Shoestring, MW found it rather funny when Dara, comparing Undina to a newer Beneteau, said how cramped she was, if he'd only ever been on a wooden folkboat, Undia would have looked like a palace!

I have to agree with Griff's sentiment. 'Proper boats' are made from wood, the new ones with bathrooms, double cabins and kitchens are more like 'plastic shower cubicles with a pole attached'. -But still, all yachts are lovely!

You ca still catch Three Men in Another Boat on BBC iplayer for a few days.

4 comments:

Roach1948 said...

Interested in what you think of the Standard Horizon chart plotter as I am thinking of one for my 22ft wooden Dallimore?

Would love to know an honest opinion.

Roach1948 said...

I was wondering what you thought of the Standard Horizon Chart Plotter you bought as I was thinking of the same model for a similar sized wooden yacht.

Appreciate an honest appraisal on bettery drain and whether it has improved your sailing this season. Its eaither that or an Assymetric at the boatshow this year.

TM said...

Hello, great unit, almost easy to use!

One thing I would say is I bought the more expensive c180 with the external GPS, if I bought it again i'd but the in-built GPS unit.

Other than that its great underway but fiddly to clear routes and way-points after your journey, but practice and it becomes easier.

Hope this helps.

Tony.

Roach1948 said...

Many thanks for that. Intrigued why you suggest getting the internal antenna one - surely an external is better? I would prefer less wiring myself, but unsure of reception through wood.

Tudor