Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The greatest ship on the sea.


Shoestring at Anchor outside Dunmore East harbour from Dominic


Since starting this site I've had some lovely emails from previous owners of Shoestring. Dominic whom I purchased her from sent me some photos and instructions on various aspects, and now reads this blog to check on her progress.

I've also had emails from Dr Ellis, who co-ownder her in 1980s with Dr Robinson, who's wife and daughter have been kind enough to send me some photocopies of her old ships logs.

Recently I've had Colin and Martin Hunt email in with stories of their exploits sailing on Shoestring and how much they admired her and are glad to see her still going.

Fortunately everyone approves of the new colour scheme and restoration work. -Note to all, still have the traditional Shoestring leaks in cabin roof! (Right above my bunk!)

It's great to get emails in from people whom sailed on her or owned her. Its something you don't get with a new yacht. There must be hundreds of little ships like Shoestring with their own histories and stories. Its probably my imagination but being a wooden yacht, and a Folkboat for that matter does lend itself to the belief that she's more unique than other boats.

Thank you to everyone that emailed in with your photos and stories. Please do keep in touch and please email more photographs if you have some. -I'll have to organise a 'get-together' cruise.

Best, Tony.

No comments: